Monday, February 4, 2013

Cooking For One: Monday

This next series of posts contain meals for one. Because sometimes you are single or home alone and only need to provide dinner for yourself. So treat yourself to a meal for one. Created especially for budget conscious ladies and gents. A week of food under $25.00.

This weeks grocery bill was 24.57!
Here is what  I bought:

  • Fresh Fruit (this week strawberries were on sale) 
  • A loaf of bread (nothing special)
  • hamburger buns
  • A bag of my favorite chips
  • 5 yogurts
  • A pre-made hamburger patty (single serve)
  • 4 Chicken breasts
  • as flat steak for one :) (sorta a splurge) 
  • peas, corn, cauliflower, mushrooms
  • iceberg lettuce
  • shredded cheese
  • lunch meat (small pack) 
  • cheese slices
  • pancake mix
(Note i will use ingredients that I did not buy in this list. But they are common kitchen spices and condiments etc.) 
Today of course is Monday. I do not know any people who like Mondays. Monday ruins the weekend really. Especially for those of us who are students or work desk jobs. Mondays signify the beginning of the week. New projects. New work. Or worse, left over projects and work. We are forced to deal with this mundane dreadful day every single week. I find myself finishing this Monday in the mood for comfort food. It was cold and snowy all day and as I cuddle into my apartment by myself, I of course am making comfort food for one. And tonight I wanted a burger. 


So I took out my hamburger patty. The pre-packaged ones are HUGE! So I split in half and put the other part in the freezer, perhaps for another snowy Monday. 

I threw in a handful of mushrooms and a few bread crumbs, a drizzle of terriyaki and formed a new patty.  I then put in a frying pan on the stove on medium heat. (make sure it isn't too thick or it will be rawish in the middle) Sprinkled a bit of salt and pepper

Then I took some mayonnaise and ketchup mixed them together added a little onion powder and a little salt. (Add a lil sauce to your life!!!) 

Then I prepared my bun, I took a piece of lettuce and a slice of cheese, and let my burger finish cooking. 

I decided I wasn't in the mood for fruit really so I grabbed a yogurt. And a handful of my favorite chips! (sunchips Parmesan) 

Put my burger on my bun. Put it all on a plate and had a Monday night dinner for one! It took maybe 15 mins and is very easy (which was good because on Monday you just want to relax) 


I hope you were not plagued with a case of the Mondays. And that if you were you found yourself a delicious dinner and a warm place to relax on this wintery Monday.


So, Monday has come and gone and tomorrow is another day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment