Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pancakes for One! Oppressive Tuesday!

The 5th of February is apparently national pancake day. Who knew?

However, this Pancake Day met with a Tuesday...an oppressive Tuesday.

Some background. In 1916 a theatre movement swept the globe. The movement was Theatre of The Oppressed! It is those theatrical principles that have sculpted my feelings on Tuesdays. Namely the oppression part. Tuesdays generally make me feel like the week will never end. You wake up thinking 'sheesh is it Wednesday yet?' only it isn't. And here you are stuck in an in between  dealing with the leftover stench of Monday and yet looking forward to the daunting rest of your week.

NOTE: Not all Tuesdays are oppressive. In fact some are fantastic and fun perhaps even enjoyable. This is indeed a generalization. I will however tell you that I have made many a stranger smile, by wishing them a "Happy oppressive Tuesday!" and many more people laugh and start a conversation about the general mood of Tuesdays. (Make someone happy! Be silly wish them a fantastic oppressive Tuesday, but be sincere otherwise it will not work. They will not want to be oppressed so say with a dazzling smile or a dash of comedy, or even a wink of irony.)

SUBNOTE: THIS IS IMPORTANT! Theatre of the Oppressed is a real theatre movement. However, 1916 was just the first date that popped into my mind. Also, there is no real correlation between Tuesdays and Theatre of the Oppressed!


Now on to something not oppressive at all! PANCAKES!!!
In honor of Tuesday, or National Pancake day. (The choice is yours)

STRAWBERRY SEDUCTION PANCAKES

Boxed pancake mix is the easiest thing to make. You just add water. This cannot be messed up! Just follow the instructions on the box.
Since there is only one of me. I made only enough for 4 pancakes. This was a cup of mix and 3/4 of a cup of water.
Then I stirred.
(Any boys or men reading this, IT IS EASY! So maybe surprise a lady in your life and ladies nothing says you can't surprise a man...perhaps an opportunity to cook for two...I digress)
Then because I love flavors and delicious things. I added 2 tablespoons of white sugar to the mix and stirred it in. A tiny sprinkle of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg and then 2 tsp of vanilla.
Then I stirred again!
I took 1 tbsp of butter and put it on a skillet on my stove set to a little below medium.
Then in honor of some up coming holiday, I poured my batter into a heart shaped cookie cutters.
NOTE: This requires patience. I started patient and then made two circle pancakes to be the base of my heart shaped ones. To do the hearts use a metal cookie cutter. You pour the batter so it fills them up half way. Then when you see it bubble at the top carefully remove cutter and flip.
ANOTHERNOTE: No one has ever complained about circle pancakes...so don't feel bullied into being fancy!
Then I cut up some strawberries sprinkled them around. (Put a few extras on the side...so I could pretend to be healthy)
Drizzled some maple syrup and then drizzled a little chocolate. Then I topped it off with a light dusting of powdered sugar!




This is how I celebrate pancake day for one...or Tuesday. Or you can celebrate whatever seems good in your kitchen tonight!

Happy Oppressive Tuesday friends!
quote

No comments:

Post a Comment