Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday for one! You are half way there.

Happy Wednesday! You have officially made it half way through the week!

Wednesdays occasionally have been called hump day. And while that sounds exciting, in my experience Wednesdays have not often provided me with the exciting version of Hump Day. For me hump day can more easily be described as mountain day because Friday and thus the weekend still seems pretty far away. Monday and Tuesday have brought me wandering through the desert of the monotonous beginning of the week to this very day and this moment right now where I find myself atop a figurative mountain gazing into the rest of this week. While this mountain is potentially treacherous and definitely was another long day of work. From the end of your Wednesday (or the top of the mountain) one can see the rest of the week looking far easier now that we have made it this far, and the weekend is once again in our sights.
NOTE: I am not stuck on a negative opinion of the exciting version of hump day...so if someone comes along to make my Wednesdays a little more exciting, I'll let you know. :)


KITCHEN TIMES!

Italian Chicken with seasoned rice and honey peas
Ingredients:

  • Chicken breasts (You will cook two. One for tonight. One for later this week. And the last two from our grocery trip get frozen for dinner another day.) 
  • Salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder, basil flakes, oregano flakes.
  • Rice (I almost always have rice or pasta around, that is why it wasn't on my list,  it would only add a dollar to your grocery bill.)
  • Frozen peas
  • Fresh Strawberries
  • Optional (honey, sesame seeds, tomato sauce, lemon juice, olive oil) 
  • Cheese (the shredded we bought earlier) 
  • butter
This all took me about 15 minutes. Pretty quick meal for a Wednesday!

NOTE: I have a George Foreman grill. I LOVE IT!!! So that is how I cooked my chicken. It took about 8 mins after I seasoned it. However, you can just easily do tonight's chicken by route of the stove, or in the oven, or an actual grill outside. It really doesn't matter, just do whatever will make you happy or what is most convenient. 

I took my chicken and seasoned it with salt and pepper and shake of both onion and garlic powder. I added some basil flakes and a little bit of oregano and then a substantial amount of seasoning salt and a light dusting of flour. (to give it a lil crunch) 
Note: I only seasoned this chicken breast. The other one I cooked later with just a little salt so it could be used for dinner Friday night! 

I put it in my grill. And let it cook while I bustled elsewhere.

Then I took a 1/4 cup of brown rice and threw it in a skillet on medium heat with 1/4 cup of water. (I used minute rice, which you can also cook in the microwave, but I like it a little brown so that is why I cooked it on the stove. But however is easiest. I am not about complicated in the kitchen.)  I added a little salt and pepper and another shake of paprika, and a tablespoon of tomato sauce just to give it some flavor and a little color (but that is totally optional) 

Check on your chicken! 

Then I microwaved a 1/2 cup of peas. Simply follow the instructions on the package. When you drain the water this is where I got a little fancy. But you do not have to. I added a table spoon of honey before I drained the water from the peas. You stir it so that it is basically dissolved. Then you drain the water. This gives the peas a super unique and sweet kick. I also sprinkled a few sesame seeds on top. (Honestly that was just to impress you by their fancy appearance...did it work? Anyway that gives it some fun texture and a unique taste) 

Finally, my chicken was done. So I put all of these Wednesday night conquests steaming on to a plate. (Nothing like a little heat in the kitchen...) 

Added a few fresh strawberries and called it Hump Day dinner for one! 



I hope you made it to the top of your Wednesday mountain. The rest of the week is now in sight! 

Happy Hump Day or if it wasn't as exciting as all that Happy Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment